Santuário de Nossa Senhora dos Remédios
Popular devotion in the place dates back to a chapel, under the invocation of Santo Estevão, built in 1361.
In the 16th century, threatening ruin, it was demolished (1568), and the construction of a new temple began, on the initiative of the Bishop of Lamego. In the new chapel an image of the Virgin and Child was deposited.
Over time, devotion to Saint Stephen decreased, replaced by devotion to the Virgin. The devotion of those who resorted to it in search of relief from diseases gave rise, in turn, to devotion to Nossa Senhora dos Remédios. The current sanctuary was started in 1750, and completed only in 1905.
The temple has, in its facade, traces of the Baroque and Rococo style ("rocaille"). The facade is flanked by bell towers. Granite stone was used in its construction.
Inside, the main altar with the image of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios carved in wood, and three stained glass windows with images of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Annunciation stand out.
The two side altars are dedicated to the virgin's parents (São Joaquim and Santa Ana). On one of the walls of the sanctuary are tile panels with scenes from the life of the Virgin.
Outside, the monumental staircase leading to the sanctuary, with 686 steps, stands out on nine levels, decorated with chapels, statues, fountains and obelisks. On one of these levels - the so-called "Pátio dos Reis" - the images of eighteen kings of Israel, belonging to the Virgin's family tree, stand out. At the base of the staircase are four figures alluding to the four seasons.